Sunday, April 10, 2011

Works for me: babywearing

This post is for a link-up for A Ruby in the Sunrise

I have worn S in so many places, doing so many things. I'm not one of those people who gets all into the stylish carriers and different fabrics and whatever, but I have had several different types of carriers, all inexpensive.

The first carrier I ever tried was a hand-me-down Peanut Shell from my cousin. My cousin is about 8 inches taller than me, so it was probably the wrong size. I took S for a walk when she was a few days old in it, and it felt awkward and not safe. I tried it a few times after that but was never satisfied. I never used a pouch again.

wrong and bad

After that, I tried a wrap. I got this one - I think it's a Hug a Bub or something like that - off of a trade site. It was essentially free; I only had to pay for shipping. I loved this. When we do have another baby I want a gauze and/or linen wrap, gauze for hot weather and linen maybe for back wrapping a little baby. I was never really able to get S on my back in this wrap - I think it's just a bit too stretchy. I didn't get too fancy with wrap methods. S would come to work with me, or on sight-seeing trips, or to our church, or on walks. And when she was itty bitty, it was often the only way I could get her to sleep.


this is a happy baby


going for a walk


hanging out, staring at me


again, happiest baby in the world

When she was getting a bit heavier, around 6 months, I got an unpadded ring sling from an Etsy seller. It was quick and easy, though not quite as versatile as the wrap. But this became our go-to for several months. It leaves one hand quite free and the other one not so free. I don't think the padded rails in other types of ring slings are really necessary, but then again I've never tried one on.

on public transportation


looking at butterflies


so comfy


sleeping in the sling while mommy eats

By the time S was 9 or 10 months, we needed a better back carry solution. So we got a mei tai - again, one of the least expensive ones on etsy, made by a work-at-home mom. This has been our main carrier ever since. It doesn't have fancy features like a pocket or a sleeping hood, but it is very easy to get her in and out of, whether front or back. Even though S is usually walking these days instead of being carried, and is happy enough in an umbrella stroller for longer trips like the zoo, we still use it occasionally.

nursing in the mei tai while being an activist


on the beach

at the zoo

being an activist is tiring

We do own one other carrier - a snugli that ML insisted on registering for before S was born. It's been used 3 or 4 times, maybe. It's just too complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment